I’m studying and need help with a question to help me learn.
Write an argument essay (three to five paragraphs) supporting your position. Support your claim with logical arguments and evidence. Take time to view this tutorial on argument writing to help prepare your response.
Step 1: Determine Your Position
- Decide whether you will defend or reject the following statement:
â€œWorld War II was a continuation of World War I.â€
- Analyze the causes, course, and consequences of both World War I and World War II.
- What countries fought in World War I, and why did each fight?
- What were the terms of the Treaty of Versailles that ended World War I?
- What were the effects of World War I?
- What were the political, economic, and social developments in the period between the end of World War I and start of World War II?
Step 2: Plan Your Argument
Remember that a good response is one that incorporates a strong thesis (also called a position, stance, or claim), logical arguments that support your thesis, evidence to support each argument, and a conclusion that ties your ideas together. Before you begin writing, organize your thoughts. You can use the Argument Essay Template to guide you.
Step 3: Write Your Argument
Use your outline to write your arguments. Your final submission must include:
- three to five paragraphs (introduction, body paragraphs, counterclaim paragraph, conclusion)
- an introduction that introduces the topic, explains why it is important, and states your thesis/claim (World War II was a continuation of World War I or World War II was not a continuation of World War I)
- logical arguments that support your thesis/claim
- evidence to support each argument
- a counterclaim and evidence to support the counterclaim
- explanation regarding how the evidence supporting the thesis/claim is stronger than the evidence supporting the counterclaim
- use of formal writing style (i.e. write in the third person, avoid statements that use “I,” use formal language, avoid slang)
will you defend or reject the following statement: “World War II was a continuation of World War I”?